Re: [MGC Brakes]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [MGC Brakes]
From: JustBrits@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 21:14:00 EDT
In a message dated 7/16/99 6:40:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
Lawrie@britcars.com writes:

<< Reference Max's last comment, below...............if, indeed the M/C was
 replaced >>

OR rebuilt........

<<recently but the wrong fluid was used, the seals could well be
 going bad already and causing the black muck to appear. It is imperative >>

Nope, here I have to disagree<G>.  It is MANDATORY.

<<to use Castrol GT/LMA brake fluid with LBC hydraulic systems! Use of any
 American brake fluid will cause the seals to go bad very quickly. If you
 don't believe me, take a new seal from a rebuild kit and put it in a jar
 with some American brake fluid and watch what happens!>>

Absolutely ! !

<< BTW, I'm talking regular fluid, not silicone fluid. As far as I have been
 able to determine, silicone fluid of any manufacture does not harm the
 rubber - >>

It does - sometimes.  And with no apparent logic (oops, Girling/Locheed
hydraulic system VS fluids = oxymoron????)

<<although other strange maladies have been attributed to systems
 filled with silicone fluid. >>

WAY, yep.

This area is where (IMHO, of course<G>) the KISS rule applies the most (and
the KISS rule "is not" in MHO!!).  As Sgt. Friday has been alleged to say,
"Facts, ma'am, just the facts."

           Just Me