Re: 78 b cooling fans

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 78 b cooling fans
From: dwilkins@wcta.net (Don Wilkins)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:39:45 GMT
On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:49:30 EDT, you wrote:

>Are the cooling fans on a 78 b supposed to push the air through the radiator
>or pull the air out of the engine compartment.  I swear it feels that mine
>are pulling the air out.  That makes me wonder what happens when traveling
>down the road, is the velocity of the moving air flow going into the grille
>counter act the air the fans are pulling air out of the grille?

I have a 78b. The fans push air through the radiator into the engine
compartment. As you point out (and I am sure some engineer long ago
realized) an attempt to push the air in the other direction would not
be productive when traveling.

There is a thermostat on the top tank of the radiator (passenger side)
disconnect it and use something to short the two connector plug. I
took a piece of # 12 electrical wire and bared a half inch on each
end. This will run the fans and you can put your hand inside the
radiator to see which way it is going. If you are ever going to do
work around those fans be sure to disconnect that plug. Those little
things are plastic but I am sure they could produce a result requiring
major surgery.

Mine are yellow plastic blades and the little slot for getting at the
set screw is away from the motor (i.e. it is on the radiator side).

Kind of bitchy getting the blades off if they are well corroded so if
this is a problem contact me.

>My fans by the way come on after reaching temperature and continue after the
>egine is switched off.

My fans come on when the thermostat says it is getting too hot.
Frequently this occurs when I have just stopped the car and am about
20 feet away. They run until the thermostat says it is time to quit.
To repeat this is sort of an automatic type thing which may not notice
fingers where they don't belong.