Re: Oxidization and my MGB-Reply

To: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>,
Subject: Re: Oxidization and my MGB-Reply
From: "Gordon Bird" <gobird@vbe.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:45:47 -0400
Scotty,
I too, of late, have heard not to use dish soap, but I have been using it
for over 20 years with no known ill effects.  What was told to me a long
time ago is if it is gentle enough for your hands to stay immersed in for a
period of time, it certainly cannot be harmful to paint when it goes on and
comes right off!  I would say the same for the salt theory, I live in the
'salt belt' where every vehicle we own gets caked in salt each winter and as
long as you are judicious in your washing you avoid the nasty rust.  The
biggest proof I have is a '80 MGB that I bought new.  I drove it the first
winter, no winters after that, but didn't hesitate to take it out in the
rain.  I washed it exclusively with Palmolive, Dawn, or other dish soap for
9 years until I sold it with 45k miles.  I ran across the car this summer
with its' 4th owner and the original paint still looks fantastic.  In fact
he said that people still don't believe that it is the factory paint.  I
told him I wanted to buy it back, but he said it wasn't for sale.
Anyway, that's my $.02.  I have, and will continue to use dish soap!

Gordie Bird
'62 MGA
'86 4000CS Quattro