Re: 76 MGB - what operating temp

To: "Tyson Sherman" <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>,
Subject: Re: 76 MGB - what operating temp
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 19:21:08 +0100
I believe it is normal for a car with electric fans to *idle* at around 3/4
with the fan cutting in and out.  However when running it should drop to N
or thereabouts.  180F is a 'normal' stat, the recommended stat for hot
climates is 165F.  IMHO 98F qualifies as 'hot' for a car built in the UK.
The fact that you can remove the cap while the engine is hot and idling
indicates to me that the engine and cooling system themselves are OK, or at
worst, only marginally iffy for a 23 year old car - if they weren't it would
boil.  The gauge itself could be bad, or the stabiliser could be faulty.
Check the light-green/green on the stabiliser or either the fuel or temp
gauges and make sure you are getting 12v switching on and off a couple of
times a second.  If you have a steady 12v the stabiliser is faulty, or its
ground connection (fixing screw) to the bulkhead is bad.  Don't know what
the original C/F gauges read for normal and hot.  If the electric temp gauge
is like the fuel gauge you may be able to calibrate it - the fuel gauge has
two slotted adjusters on the back, one for E and one for F, using your
thermometer while the car is warming up.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)