RE: wire wheel repair

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wire wheel repair
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:40:45 -0700
Well, you've given me an opportunity to vent, so here goes:

The freeways around here are kept in an appalling state of disrepair.
This is scarcely surprising given the fact that they are used at 110% of
capacity for 16 hours a day, not to mention the legendary incompetence of
the state transportation agency (CalTrans). The immediate presence of two
of the continent's most notorious earthquake faults is also a
contributing factor. So here you are, just keeping up with traffic doing
75+, surrounded on all sides by great bloody SUVs so that your view of
the road ahead is limited to the 2 car lengths in front of you (never
more than that, since if you try to leave more, another bloody SUV wedges
its fat arse in -- without bothering to signal), and then you hit a 12 x
20 x 8 inch deep pothole smack on the left front tire, which turns out to
be merely the first in a series of several dozen over the next half mile,
cleverly arranged along a shallow diagonal moving slowly across the lane
so you can't dodge 'em (due to being caused by a deteriorating seam
between two former lanes now restriped). A further side effect of this
beating is the fact that every fastener on the underside of the car works
its way loose over time, requiring frequent attention.

I don't think I drive particularly hard, I certainly don't race, and I
don't weigh enough to put any particular stress on the components. But
the B is my daily driver, not just  a pleasure cruiser, so it gets its
share of freeway miles as well as back roads. It would be really hideous,
no doubt, if I didn't work at home. Lots of folks around here commute
50-80 miles each way, but I don't suppose they have wire wheels, either.

But then again, there is a long standing belief that the chrome plating
process embrittles the spokes, making them more prone to failure. Since I
cannot recall a single spoke failure in any of the painted wire wheel
cars with which I have been associated (I haven't owned one, but many
aquaintances have), there may be something to this theory.

Aren't you sorry you asked?

; )

John Walker had this to say:

--