Re: wire wheel repair

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wire wheel repair
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:45:19 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/99 7:41:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, john@rmartin.net
writes:

<< My car has the original factory painted wires, I drive the car fairly
 aggressively
 and I have never broken a wire. (Knock on wood).

 If I bought new chrome wire wheels, barring an accident, I would expect
 them to last
 pretty much forever.

 What am I missing?? >>

Being a PO of a car with wires, I can say that if you don't keep the wires
tuned they will break.  If you tap lightly on each wire, they should all make
a solid sound.  If you find a clinker, it is loose.  If you don't tighten it,
it will break.  The key is to keep the wires tight.

Same thing goes for the hub splines.  If you remove a wheel, clean and
re-grease the splines on the wheel and hub.  Tighten the knockoff when you
put it back on, then drive a bit and tighten it again, or you'll strip a
spline on a Friday when the local Triumph dealer is taking inventory and the
parts department is closed!

Ask me how I know all these things!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget