Re: MGA and fuel tank problems

To: Sam Perera <sam_perera@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA and fuel tank problems
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:19:54
At 08:44 AM 8/30/99 -0700, Sam Perera wrote:
>Looks like my fuel tank is blocked in some way as there is no fuel pumping
from the line between the tank and the pump. I have checked the pump and it
is OK !

>So what can I do without dropping the tank and taking a $$$ hit for
cleaning ? If I have to, what is the procedure and how much might it cost ?

The immediate proceedure is simple, cost is nil.  Disconnect the fuel line
between the tank and the pump, open the fuel filler cap and stand clear,
apply air pressure to the line attached to the tank.  This should blow any
obstruction clear of the line in the tank and allow fuel to flow once
again.  Then, if you've been really good and lead a charmed life, you may
get lucky and drive forever in bliss (but don't hold your breath).  It
helps to drive the car regularly so it will be flushing a lot of fuel
through the system over time and the crud should eventually be flushed out
and not accumulate in the tank in the future.

However, if the tank is really cruddy inside the fix may be only temporary
and the problem may reoccur (most likely).  If this be the case there is no
alternative except to remove the tank for cleaning.  Sorry.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and never a clogged fuel line)
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg