Re: Ugly MGBs

To: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>, MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ugly MGBs
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:19:49 -0700
On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 08:53:21AM -0700, Chris Attias wrote:

> The greatest LBC travesty I've ever seen was (is?) an Austin Healey
> 3000 that some self-proclaimed "auto stylist" here in Santa Cruz
> created.  It had all sorts of sculpted crap on it, covering just
> about every original panel--a huge spoiler, a weird prow-like scoop
> on the bonnet, side skirts and spoilers.  I wanted to take a picture
> of it for Road & Track's PS section--just never had a camera handy
> when it made appearances.

I believe the license plate was "redore" or something like that.
It had some sort of american V8 in it.  At one point the owner wrote
an autobiography in which he claimed to have had sex with 5,000 or
so different women.  There was an article on him in the Good Times
(or one of it's precursors) many years back.  The car looked like
what would happen if a 12 year old boy were to be given free rein
hotrodding a big healy.  I seem to remember a wing that would put
F1 cars to shame, fins that would be functional on a fighter plane,
almost as subtle as those on Barris' batcar, and the nose was
elongated about three feet.  I don't think I've seen that car in
15 years.  I miss it though. It went beyond tacky, right out the
other side to inspired. It was as much an expression of Santa Cruz
as the guy that would play the saw on pacific garden mall.
Somehow I don't think there will ever be a statue put up for that
car though.

--
 Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings; they did it by
killing all those who opposed them.