Re: Steering Column Removal

To: pokrefke@netdoor.com
Subject: Re: Steering Column Removal
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:09:57 EDT
  I needed to service the steering column u-joint on my '72. Followed all
the steps in the book, but the column would not release from the ujoint
until I spread it slightly with a screwdriver tapped into the slit. The
column was rusted solidly into the ujoint, and it took this effort to
dislodge it.   Again, this was on my Jan '72 car. Check the WS manual
for variations in steering columns.
  Also, mark the joint and column with paint so you get the spines back
in the same place. I don't think the ujoint splines and steering wheel
splines are the same, so you have to get each back into proper position
if you want the steering wheel to be centered as it was before.
Bob