Clutch problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch problem
From: James Porco <jporco@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 12:22:21 -0400
Hello
I've been reading this board for the last few years and ,,,generic lurker
disclaimer...
By my choice , my 1971 (restoration project) MGB-GT has become a daily
drive for the last three weeks.  Friday As I was pulling into my
driveway, it became a bear to shift into first gear. And, any attempts to
shift into reverse were met with a horrible grinding noise.  This AM I
checked to see if all fluids were OK and they were.  The Transmission
fluid was replaced less than 2 months ago with 20-50w Castrol.(same as in
the engine).  If I try to shift it into first the car slowly attempts to
move forward, any other gear and I get that great head turning grinding
noise.

I think I am looking at a clutch master cylinder problem but I would like
to get the boards opinion.  If it is the master cylinder should I get the
rebuilds kit or splurge for new parts?
Any less expensive suggestions would also be helpful.

Many thanks,

Jim Porco
1971 (black primer, but all new metal) MGB-GT
Columbus, Ohio