10,204 mile report

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 10,204 mile report
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 21:21:21 -0700
Hi folks,
             On May 17 I gave a report on the first 3,765 commuting miles using
the 77B.  For those interested, the 10,000 mile plateau was crossed this week so
here's the story:

Time period: 7 months (3/2/99 thru 9/30/99)
Miles covered: 10,204 (present mileage: 74,683)
Fuel used: 485.17 gallons (87 octane)=21.03 mpg
Fuel cost: $569.22 ($.0558/mile)
Oil used: 34 qts
Oil cost: $45.12
Oil filters: 4 = $24.00

# of catastophic failures, i.e., had to be towed home: 1 (front u-joint broke);
        (no time lost, replaced with part on hand from old TD driveshaft)

Discretionary down time: 1 week (to replace rings)

Items to erase DPO problems:

(Re-) installed correct master cylinder, brake lines and power brake servo.
Totla cost, including new master cylinders (clutch and brake), used servo and
pedal box, new brake lines and used intake manifold (for brake vacuum): $370.

Installed new rings.  Discovered that all compression rings were broken and rod
bearings were showing a bit of copper.  Classic indications of detonation from
running too advanced/too high compression/too low octane, take your pick.  Found
that the head had been shaved at least .060" and was warped by .009".  Elected
to buy a reconditioned head from Lawrie Alexander for $375.  Cost for the parts
to do the rings/bearings, etc.: $190.  Project cost: $375 + 190= $565 which
should be capitalized over the next 50 to 60,000 miles.

Also, re-plumbed the heater lines to a way will allow me to have heat this
winter, cost about $25.

If I hadn't been so stupid a couple of weeks ago and allowed the u-joint to
fail, I'd be able to say that the car has been absolutely dependable and had
never let me down.  It has never failed to start and it's been a lot of fun.

Next on the list:  find someone to replace the windshield and associated seals.
I'm tired of the 'wet-left-leg-when-it-rains' trick.

Keep on drivin'

Bud Krueger
52TD (sits in for the B once in a while)
77MGB (110 miles/day)