10,204 mile report

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 10,204 mile report
From: "John R. Boehmke" <mtbills@mcn.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 19:21:11 -0600
I recently purchased my first MG, a 1977 MGB. The body is good, but the
engine may need a little work. It starts hard when it's cold (choke?), has
a pretty good oil leak on the left side, has 120-130psi compression, and
has 92,000 miles on it. Does it sound like a rebuild is in order? Could the
oil leak be from the side covers, or the head gasket? (It's not from the
valve cover) Would a Weber downdraft be a preferable carb to the stock Z-S?
As you can tell, I'm full of questions about my MG, so any help would be
appreciated. I love the way it drives and I'm looking forward to many fun
miles.

John

77MGB