Re: Decent Heat

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Decent Heat
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:40:44 -0700
Yes, you caught me on the Peter Egan quote! BTW in his latest column, he
gives a pretty good rationale for LBC ownership (or should I say
"non-rationale"?)

I actually don't understand why people use 165 degree thermostats in the
summer. It seems completely pointless, since the normal operating
temperature of the engine is 180-190. The lower-rated thermostat just
opens sooner (one minute instead of one-and-a-half minutes, maybe) and
then stays open all the time -- it doesn't make the engine run any
cooler. So why bother with it? As you say, the car runs better at a
hotter temperature. I use a 190 year round, and the gauge pretty much
sits at 190 all the time, except 1) idling in traffic on hot summer days,
when it will creep up to 200-210, and 2) driving at freeway speeds on
very cold winter nights, when it may never make it up to 180 (and thence
the thermostat never opens, presumably).

MGRagtop@aol.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149