Fuel Pump Stroke

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Pump Stroke
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:39:59 -0400
I recently cleaned up a non-working SU electric fuel pump I bought at an
autojumble, actually the Bronte Creek show.  It will be chucked in the boot
of the BGT for use as a spare. I sanded the points and freed up the plunger
and diaphragm.  It looks nice with the body sandblasted and clearcoated.
This was from an older Healy from the 50's and has no diodes and works fine
in pos or neg ground configuration.
When I took it apart I didn't count the number of turns the plunger was
screwed in and I just guessed at it upon reassembly.  I allowed for a fairly
short stroke and it pumps air OK.  How important is it to adjust the stroke
on this thing?

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
fpixley@kingston.net