Re: Roller Throwout Bearing

To: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>, MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roller Throwout Bearing
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:21:27 -0700
James,

I think the "Common Wisdom", which seems to apply only about half the
time, is that ball bearing throwouts (don't know if there is such a
thing as a "roller" bearing throwout) are not meant to turn
continuously, unlike, say, tapered roller wheel bearings.  I could be
wrong.  I know that in at least one Toyota I've owned, there is
actually a return spring on the slave cylinder to make sure the
bearing doesn't make constant contact with the clutch cover.
Individual driving styles and experiences, as well as
parts/manufacturers may vary, void where prohibited by law.

To be honest, you are the first person (out of about seven I know
of--a statistically insignificant basis for True Knowledge) who
hasn't had what they feel was a bad experience.  (Could I get you to
buy me a Lottery ticket?)  If Doug isn't installing them himself,
probably sees only the (X)% of cars in his region with problems.
Shorter lifespan is not the same thing as defective, so I don't know
if the manufacturer would care--and I know what VB would say if you
called them up after a couple year's use. (Service is, after all,
their middle name!)  I'm interested in other people's experiences.
(I'm not quite ready to become the Secretary of the MG Throwout
Bearing Registry--North America--yet.)

I gotta say, my personal experience with "new, improved, better than
OEM" high performance parts makes me at least as skeptical as you
seem to be.  Let's see--headers that crack or warp, aluminum Alfa
camber adjusters that quickly wore out, the Strowski Overdrive
Transfer Case for 3 speed LandCruisers (I still have it in a box, if
anyone is interested...)

Chris