[MGS] howdy & several questions... (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [MGS] howdy & several questions... (long)
From: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 15:29:01 -0700
<this is long, sorry>

Howdy! I have been lurking on the list for some time now, but I have
finally decided to surface and ask some of the questions I have
accumulated -- I have many to choose from!!

But before I do, I would like to say how useful this list is for me.
I have basically no knowledge, and this list has answered many of my
questions (without my even asking!).  Its a fabulous resource, and I
really appreciate all of you who make a living working on these
things, or just have lived working on these things, or dont have a
clue but have ideas, throwing me (us?) bones.

I got my 74.5 RB B nearly two years ago partially cause its such a
cool car, and partially so I could learn how cars work.  As you might
expect, I have screwed some stuff up, and it runs a little worse than
it used to, but I am proud that I have not had anyone but myself work
on it (towing it, well that's another question...), and it still runs!

My first few questions are for anyone in the Seattle area: I have just
moved up here, good auto parts places?  Good mg shops?  I am in the
Wallingford area.  This car is a california native, used to the dry
hills, while I am an new englander, used to salt in the winter.  Here
it just seems to be wet, what precausions do folks take to retard the
rusting out of their cars up here?  Is it a problem that should cause
me sleepless nights (as it might in new england)?

OK -- this note is going to get long,

1) Suggestions on tuning?  I have dual HIF-4 carbs (I believe, I
always get confused, they have the integrated float bowls), and have
played with them a bit.  I always read that there should be no play in
the linkages, but what is "no play"?  How can I tell if they are
moving too much?  Are there particularly good/bad books on these
things?

2) Has anyone played with putting snazzy sound systems in these cars
without loosing space/"originality" I have noticed there is a big
empty space under the rear shelf (where a second battery might go),
anyone played with using this?  As you can tell, I am not really an
originalist, I hope that doesnt bother too many, I like to drive the
car!!  I like the appearance of orginality, without necessarily all
the trappings.

3) I have a squeaking (?) noise from the rear (and sometimes the
front) wheels when I turn and go over bumps, like turning into a
driveway, sounding sort of like something is not lubricated, or the
shocks are wearing oddly.  Ideas of things I might look for?

Sorry to be so long, I have been saving up --

Thanks much, both for what I have already learned, and any new bones
you might have to toss me!!

Bart
74.5 RB MGB -- Needs tuning, brakes, cleaning, oil change, lube?, all badly