Weird electrical happening

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Weird electrical happening
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 00:24:59
A weird thing happened tonight.  If anything, my strong point is
electricity, and yet...

I drove home ('78 B roadster), turned the ignition off, took the key out,
opened the door, and realized that the radio was still playing and the map
light is on.  The map light I understand with the door open, but power to
the radio is still on, but the key is in my hand.

I shut the door, map light goes out.  Radio remains on, no key in the
ignition.

I decide to put the key in the ignition and turn it on and off, but as soon
as the key touches the ignition switch metal, the radio goes off.

1) Is the switch flaky, such that it kept the connection on until it was
jolted by my touching the switch again (but it was touched extremely
lightly, if at all)

2) Was touching the ignition with the key a "key" factor, or just
coincidental timing?

3) Was there some "flukas" that conspired between opening the door and
removing the key (which might have happened simulataneously) to keep an
open circuit?  I can't imagine how, but I have heard odd tale of Lucas wiring.

I'm probably about 2000 miles north of the Bermuda triangle, and there were
no UFOs in sight, though I do note a strange new circle on my lawn...

- Tab