Re: Weird electrical happening

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>
Subject: Re: Weird electrical happening
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 00:48:21 -0500
...wild guess here...
sounds like the back of your metal key lock to
plastic electrical switch interface is badly worn.

the key mechanism and the electrical switch part are
two separate items. The back of the key lock has a 'flatted'
round protrusion that extends into the electrical switch. Even
though the key was in the off position, it may have enough
slop in the mechanical interface to have not completely
moved the electrical switch into the full 'off' position.
Touching it moved it that last 'micro inch' to break the connection

(If you pull out the key lock barrel...you can push and turn using
use the end of you finger down in the hole to turn the electrical switch)

...also check to see if the entire electrical switch part is firmly
attached to the metal housing that holds it on the column.
I've seen them loose enough that turning the key did not turn the
electrical switch

Paul Tegler
1973 MGBGT - Daily Driver
1975 Spitfire - in Cherry shape
1980 Spitfire - in re-hab
1978 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
1973 Round Wheel Arch Midget in the works
wizardz@toad.net
http://www.teglerizer.com
(see menu for MG and Triumph Automobiles)