Re: clean air act & exhaust systems

To: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: clean air act & exhaust systems
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 00:18:50
There are a number of people who like to alter their car's emission
equipment, primarily removing the catalytic converter, in order to realize
a boost in performance.  Not only does this make the vehicle in violation
of the clean air act, but may be dangerous as well, depending on the
expertise of the individual.  Apparently just requiring that all vehicles
must conform to current emissions standards (at least those in effect at
the time of manufacture of the vehicle) wasn't enough - they need to
expressly prohibit screwing with the emissions in case someone didn't get
the hint.

- Tab