RE: clean air act & exhaust systems

To: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Subject: RE: clean air act & exhaust systems
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 09:57:46 -0800
No I am not giving the "official" word.  This is an IMHO.

        It is against FEDERAL law to modify any systems that impacts vehicle
emmissions.  I'd love to see the actual text on this law, but I am PD sure
that it exists.

        The enforcement of this Federal law is left up to the states.  Each
state has worked out how it will test vehicles and which vehicles are
tested.

        What this means in the real world is that some state governments
have visual inspections, others tail pipe tests, some both, and some non at
all.  The range of tested cars also varies.  In California now, pre -73
vehicles are no longer inspected at all.  This does not change the fact that
it is still against Federal law to modify the vehicle.  It just means that
there are no provisions for inspection or penalty.

        The reason that this is important, is that at any time a state has
the right to inspect and penalise any motor vehicle regardless of age.  Only
cost and political pressure keep our vehicles exempt.  Keep this in mind the
next time you go to the polls.

        If at some time it is expedient for the government to remove our
vehicles from the road it can do so for any reason.  Our job, as voting and
tax paying enthusiasts is to ensure that it never happens.

        Nuff said.  As a company selling replacement parts there is
liability in selling any component that can be used to modify any safety or
emission system on a vehicle.  The only way to reduce that liability is to
include the comment "not for Highway use".  That way there is less
likelyhood of litigation extending to the supplier, if big brother shows up
in your garage with micrometers and sniffer tools.  "Gee, I didn't know it
was illegal.  It's their fault" (finger pointing towards deeper pockets).

        Ask anyone who has lived in an area where the smog laws were
tightened.  The smog police don't usually give a rats, if you can't afford
to retrofit your equipment back to stock.  Do it or lose it.  All it takes
is enough fingers pointing to change the view of government.  If there are
enough accidents involving "vintage cars" smacking into the backs of 4
wheel, ABS equipped cars.  If enough mothers driving SUVs are traumatised by
squashing low level sports cars.  Then our cars can be legislated off the
road.  "Yes sir, you would like a special one day permit to operate your pre
1980 petroleum powered vehicle on the state highway.  Please fill out these
forms, and include your proof of hazardous emission insurance coverage".

        What we have is fleeting.  We all have to work hard to keep our
vehicles on the road.  That involves understanding the past, present and
future laws and their implications, governing the operation of our vehicles.

down from soap box.

Kelvin.