RE: Safest place to place floor jack on MGB

To: MGALUVR@aol.com
Subject: RE: Safest place to place floor jack on MGB
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:55:11 -0800
Bill:

        The late differential pumkin is cast iron.  The tubes mounted into
it are very strong and IMHO very capable of supporting the weight of the
rear of the car.  IMagainHO it is the safest place to support the vehicle as
the jack cradle is unlikely to slip off the bottom of the diff.  Once the
car is in the air.  I would place jackstands carefully under the front eye
of each spring, as close to the front of the spring as possible so as not to
load the leaf.  Carefully lower the car down onto the jackstands until the
rear end starts to drop free (careful, the leaf is smooth).  Leave the rear
end supported by the jack, don't let it sag all the way to the extent of the
rubber straps. (You never know how strong they are).  Leave the jack in
place.  You now have clear access to the fuel pump area.  The jackstands are
far enough forward that you don't have to fight with them.  The jack is
secondary insurance and keeps the rear suspension from going to full travel
(not usually a problem, but....).

        Alternatively, if there is any question of the jack stand footing.
Place the jackstands under the rear axle tube, as close to the ends as
possible.  (not on the spring pads, you will mess up the u-bolt threads).
This is more stable than supporting under the front spring bushs, but you
will be struggling around the stands, and there will not be much space to
work above the axle assembly.

Kelvin.