Re: namgbr representation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: namgbr representation
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:08:54 EST
    Sorry to differ, and none of us have the actual numbers. BUT given that
many good cars have been sold from calif, not as many as you might have gone
than you may think, ( I know 2 exporters and have a pretty good idea of their
volume) and you have to counterbalance with the number of cars that were here
in the first place. Original lbc sales in CA. and the west coast indeed were
greater than the other 49 together, that much is documented. VERY few ca.
cars were ever scrapped for serious rust, as opposed to other states where nea
rly all of them were...you have to do the subtraction on both sides of the
equation.
    The point is that other areas lost cars to rust, we lost them to
exporters, the numbers most likely balance out. I know personally of well
over 150 B's and midgets in my county alone, and I live in the 6th least
populous ca. county out of our 53.
    Regardless, my point stands on its merits. There needs to be more of a
Namgbr presence out here, and if doing it nationally doesn't work, let's do
it regionally... but I want their blessing and support! This idea has been
floated to the leadership in the past and has not been warmly received, which
is why we're having this conversation.
Final note... you may have noticed that NOBODY from the west coast has chimed
in on this discussion... except for a couple of off-list messages that I've
received that basically said "go get 'em"
That may be the biggest clue to the irrelevance of Namgbr out here, because
if you read the list with any regularity you know it's got lot's of
californians.
Cheers

Kai Radicke wrote
<<
 > 1) Namgbr is a non-presence on the west coast, where more MGs exist then
 in
 > the other 49 states combined, which makes the "north american" part of the
 > title irrelevant and the 150 california memberships an object of shame,
 not
 > pride

 No.  California was the state which the most MGs were sold in, but you can
 not claim it is still the state with the most MGs.  Just look what has
 happened in the last twenty years.  The folks across the pond purchase large
 numbers of 'rust-free' cars from California, and similarly so do those in
 non-arid US states.  Not to mention Australia, and Japan; which also seek
 out Californian cars.  I feel that in the last twenty years that the
 distribution has evened out, and California is no longer the state which
 holds the majority of the marque(s). >>