Re: SU carbs sputter under load (was no subject)

To: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU carbs sputter under load (was no subject)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 02:02:00
At 06:09 PM 11/17/99 -0800, Tony Woodruff wrote:

>I finished installing and tuning .... my SU carbs. ....
>
>.... the engine runs great at idle and when revving the engine with no
load, but as soon as I put a load on the engine (i.e. driving) it sputters
and has no power at all.

Sounds like fuel starvation to me.  Disconnect fuel feed hose from carbs,
put loose end of hose in a container, turn on ignition to run fuel pump,
time it for 15 seconds, turn off ignition, measure fuel in container,
multiply volume by 4 to get one minute's worth of flow volume.  You should
get at least one pint per minute.  If not, start checking fuel lines,
filters and pump.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg