RE: air filters

To: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Subject: RE: air filters
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 13:43:07 -0800
Which exits through a tailpipe 1 7/8" in diameter.

        You know, the factory did a lot of work to eke out the most
horsepower they could out of the poor little B series engine.
        To make any improvements in one area, you are typically going to
screw something up in another.  I remember all the modifications I put on my
MGB as a child.  Mostly all I got was noise, dirt and shortened life.
        Stick with the factory setup for all around use.  K & N filter
replacements would be sensible if you were encountering lots of dust.  I do
believe that they filter dust particles better than the original paper
filters.  They had better do something for the price premium.  But nothing
is free.  K & N filters are notorious for being noisy, something the
original MG designers were very careful about.  The K & N assemblies with
cast covers look really cool when new, and evidently offer some change in
airflow, as richer needles appear to be necessary.  But they offer very
little intake silencing and after a while you have a pair of dirty filters
staring you straight in the face when you open the hood.  I'm going to give
that set up a try, but more for "gee whiz" factor than for any sensible
reason.

        But then, if I was sensible, I'd drive a Honda.

Kelvin.