Getting the engine off the suspension

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Getting the engine off the suspension
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:47:08 EST
Hey all-
  I have a Magnette but it shuld be just like your A's and B's so you all
might be able to help.

I cheated when I took the engine out of my Magnette.  I bought a hoist of
course, who could resist for $160, but I used it to lift the car off the
engine rather than the engine out of car.  I then rolled the engine
transmission suspension and all into the garage where it has been sitting for
a few months.

Now the trouble has all come back to roost because I need to seperate the
engine from the suspension to rebuild the suspension.  My two questions are:

#1 On what and with what do you attach the hoist to the B-series engine?  The
hydraulic engine hoist has only a short chain and a giant dog leash clip.

#2  Once I have it all apart, what do I put the engine on?  Can it just sit
on its oil pan?  Should I detach the engine mounts from the suspension rather
than the mounts from the engine, and put some blocks or something to hold
those up, or is there a better way to sit and engine down?  (I'd rather not
just leave it hanging!)

John Elwood
Visit The World's Greatest Site Devoted to Farina Magnettes:
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/farina