Re: 2 Litre

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2 Litre
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 00:55:42 -0400
Just to add to Jim's remarks - ' believe I've heard that the 18V blocks
were the best contenders for 2-litre conversions.  '67s were 5-main
(18GB?), but my understanding is that the 18V blocks, used from about '72
or '73 through '80, have more "meat" on them and are less prone to failure
when bored out. You probably can find one cheap somewhere.  Then if you
ruin it in the boring, you still have your '67 block.  BTW, there are
several different types of "2 litre" pistons.  Do a bit of research before
you decide.  One type requires major decking of the block.  One is usable
only with the earlier "offset" con rods.  I too have not done this (just
thought about it alot!) - perhaps Lawrie will have some advice really worth
listening to!

Allen

>From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
>
>>From what I have read, a block free of damage will take the conversion
>with relatively few concerns.  However, if there are any defects in the
>original casting, boreing out the cyls the thier limit may fail.  I guess
>there is no way to tell if there are any casting defects in the block
>until the work is attempted.  I don't recall if the 67 was three main or 5
>but I would be hesitant of doing the work on a 3 main engine, just because
>of the increased power versus the lower strengeth of 3 main bearings.
>Like I said this is all from what I have read about the subject, I've
>never attempted it.
>
>James Nazarian
>'71 B roadster
>'71 BGT rust free and burnt orange
>'74 BGT going by-by soon
>'63 Buick 215
>
>On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Carl French wrote:
>
>> I have been offered a set of never used 2 litre pistons for my
>> rebuild, they would be free from a friend. I have a 67B with the
>> original motor from what I can tell. What would you say are the risks of
>> trashing the block? Other thoughts? Lawrie?
>> Carl French

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-m-gmg-mg-mg

Allen Bachelder
'73 B - "done"
'76 B - daily driver
'73 GT - awaiting front wings
'65 B shell - awaiting paint
'67 GT - awaiting everthing
'57 ZB - parts car or resto-candidate? - awaiting decision
'49 YT - in "progress"

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg