Re: 2 Litre

To: Lawrie Alexander <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: 2 Litre
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:44:28 -0500
BTW Lawrie,

In one of the replies on this subject, someone remarked about having to toss
their MGB block after it reached the 0.80 over bore stage.  That reminded me of
an eye opening experience I had some years ago with a 1972 MGB roadster.  The
engine had blown savagely while being driven on the interstate somewhere south
of Pittsburgh PA. A close friend at the time alerted me to the availability of
this car for just the cost of towing  bills that the young owner could not pay
.   Along with many destroyed internal components, the walls of cylinder three
were deeply gouged.  I was pleased to find that Moss Motors sold a cylinder
sleeve for the MGB that was at the time $32.  When it arrived, I was quite
surprised to find Mazda's labels all over the thing.  I was even more surprised
when I took it to my machine shop and was informed that for $30 they would
install a sleeve and bore it to my size; but I was most surprised when I was
told that the installation charge included the sleeve its self!

The lesson that I learned was to be cautious about discarding anything from an
MG until being certain that there was not a good means of saving it.  Another
lesson I learned was that at times, Moss was unknowingly gouging its customers
(Mazda sold that sleeve for $7.50!)

Jim