Speedo drive...

To: "MGS (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo drive...
From: "Jon Lind" <JLind@ColoradoSkiing.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:51:48 -0700
O.K., guys, just, for grins, let's imagine possible causes of the following
problem:

The speedo pinion gear on my LH OD is almost new, and looks it--no signs of
wear.  It firmly and securely engages the speedo drive gear which is also
new (and steel).  The car runs and drives fine.  But the speedo cable (also
new) is locked solid and doesn't spin win driving or when still.

I've already gone through trouble shooting the installation of the cable,
etc., and am not really looking for a solution to the problem from you guys,
but trying to figure out how it's possible for the speedo gear to not move.
It's attached to the drive line, right?  If the gear is solid and not
spinning freely (somehow) it HAS to spin when the car moves, right?  What
could possibly cause this gear to not spin.