Re: Update on the '71 B I looked at...

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Update on the '71 B I looked at...
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 09:13:59 -0500
Sounds like a good car to me.  Then again, I got a deal on my 'B
when it wouldn't run.  The owner thought it had a bad timing chain,
and it really needed new plugs.

Anyway, if it ran in October, chances are there was not a
catastrophic failure in the time jut from sitting.  Chances are, the
car still runs and can be made to run in short order with nothing
more than a tune-up.

Think about it - a car with a good body is priceless.  Like everyone
says, you can change the engine and interior with nuts and bolts but
the body is the expensive pain.  A good interior might set you back
$900 and it will make everyone who sees your car swoon.  Gauge faces
are not a problem - there are plenty of gauges with good faces
running around.  If you can get a non-working gauge for $5 at a
parts sale and do a little cannibalism, you're set.

Still, it would be nice to hear the car run.  I don't know of any
way to test for knocking or oil burning.  You probably should take a
compression tester with you to see what kind of readings you get.

That's just my .02 worth anyway.  A good MGB would make a nice X-Mas
present...

Mike Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata