Re: Update on the '71 B I looked at...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Update on the '71 B I looked at...
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 08:52:23 EST
In a message dated 12/17/1999 10:50:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
niederst@telerama.com writes:

<< This really pissed me off, since I was told it ran, and
 probably would have made an offer on the car if the car ran decent. I asked
 when the car was last started, and the sale guy said October. What an idiot.
 Salesman wanted me to make an offer on the car today before his tech had a
 chance to come and look at it (he tried the classic "another guy is coming
 tomorrow AM to look at it" line). I told him to give me a call when it was
 running and I'd think about it. The place is asking $2500 for it, and I
 think it is probably a $1500-$2000 car (depending on how it runs). >>

I would have pulled $500 out of my pocket and said, "That's all I have. Take
it or shake it."  What could he say?  He has a car of unknown quality that is
really only a parts car as far as you are concerned.

BTW, I am a salesman so I know how to handle these situations.  If the car
has been sitting since October with NO lookers, he is only trying to generate
some cash at this point.  Sitting inventory does him absolutely no good.  He
can use that $500 to buy something he can sell quickly for a profit.  (Tell
him I said so!)

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget