Re: Ignition warning lamp solved!

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.com>, "Steve Murphy" <k8vo@flyingbeers.org>
Subject: Re: Ignition warning lamp solved!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:09:22 -0000
An ignition relay was fitted to late model B's to limit the current through
and hence volt-drop in the ignition switch and wiring although the white
still fed things like the ignition warning light, fuel pump and
overdrive/TCSA. My 1989-published Haynes shows it for both later UK and
North American models.  It is the presence of this ignition relay that
causes the non-Dieseling type of running on when the alternator is changed
from stock.  I have some extracts from the Workshop Manual and Haynes
covering circuits like turn signals, hazards, charging, starter, wipers as
well as ignition for various years, select 'Spanners', 'Electrics' and
'Schematics'.

The white only went via the tach (for rpm sensing) to the coil from 64 to 72
approx, thereafter the tach was triggered by a white/black from the points
side of the coil.  Both types of electronic tach also had a green (fused
ignition).

There has been a starter relay in Bs since 1969/70, and a cooling fan relay
in factory V8s.

PaulH.