Re: My steering wheel won't come off!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My steering wheel won't come off!
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:16:06 -0400
Oops - ' sorry about that.  Max is right - I was not thinking of banjo
wheels!  Regardless of my friend's intentions, I wouldn't try this on a
banjo wheel myself.  In fact, on most old banjo wheels I've seen, the part
of the wheel holding the wire spokes  was already broken or weakened -
presumably just from age and use.  The wheel I removed in this manner was
on a '77 and I don't think I would be afraid to try it on any of the
post-banjo wheels - circa '70-76.

I've lost the original part of this thread and can't remember what year car
was in question.   Something got me thinking only of '70s Bs.  Though I
didn't say it, I certainly never meant to apply that trick to banjo wheels.

Allen

>Subject: Re: My steering wheel won't come off!
>From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
>Florrie & Allen Bachelder had this to say:
>
>>...Pull wheel hard toward you at 3
>>o'clock while pushing equally firmly away from you at 9.  Now reverse -
>>pulling at 9 while pushing at 3.  Don't be afraid of bending the wheel, my
>>friend said - it won't bend.  And it didn't bend.  It DID come off after
>>rocking it this way a few times.
>>
>Man! I would *never* apply twisting force to a "banjo" wheel..
>
>But you say it worked for you... on what type of steering wheel?

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
        49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333