Stud or bolt?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stud or bolt?
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:24:32 -0400
I don't know, but I have found this solution present in a lot of cars.  In
re-assembling, I've always used studs though.  The bolts will either be too
long to properly torque the manifold down, or they won't thread all the way
in and the torque will be pulling on fewer threads.   I wonder if there are
any heat transfer issues, although that seems a bit far-fetched.

Allen

>From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
>
>In order to remove the exhaust manifold on my MGB, I must remove the
>studs, not just the nuts from the two outside holes.  It seems that it
>would be a lot easier to replace those two studs with bolts, and save
>myself a step in both the disassembly and reassembly processes.
>
>Is this a good idea?  A bad idea?  The way that it's really supposed to
>be?

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
        49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333