Re: Imported British Autos

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Imported British Autos
From: "Steve Murphy" <k8vo@flyingbeers.org>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 18:21:40 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, December 30, 1999 7:48 PM
<snip>
I remember Plymouth having 2 captive imports at
>one time, the Cricket and the Arrow. Later they added a Champ and a
>Sapporo.
>
>Looking it up, I see the Cricket was a badge-engineered Hillman Avenger,
>marketed from 1971-73. The others were Mitsubishis.

Actually, I think that the Arrow was a badge engineered Sunbeam Alpine...
Chrysler bought out Rootes in the mid 60's (hence the Cricket/Avenger.)  I
recall seeing an Arrow "parked" next to one these Alpines at a local
boneyard about 20 years ago.  Being familiar with the series I-V Alpines and
the Tiger, I was surprised to see it badged as an Alpine GT, and according
to the paint on the windscreen, it was a 1969 model.  I also recall seeing
photos of this car in one of my Sunbeam books, but can't find it right now.
    Wow.. a bit of useless knowledge I had wedged away in the recesses of my
feeble brain actually was almost pertinant to a discussion!

Happy New Year,
Steve Murphy