Re: MGB LE A Collectable?

To: "mowog77 bootknocker" <mowog77@theglobe.com>,
Subject: Re: MGB LE A Collectable?
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:00:13 -0500
I think we need to look at collectible cars not on their performance
merits, but on their uniqueness.

First of all, other than the '67 BGT specials, this was the only
'special' MGB that ever made it to the states.  Second, this was the
last year of an amazing car and an amazing car company.  That alone
makes other cars minor collector's items.

Not only that, let's think about the MGB's in their late iterations.
There are plenty of people that want a chrome bumpered car so badly
that they'd take the saw to their car to make it like the earlier
versions.  Secondly, in the name of performance these cars are
stripped of their admittedly crummy carbs and emissions equipment so
they can keep up with the earlier 'Bs.  Most of these cars never see
their original parts again.

And like another similar argument I made a few years ago, these cars
are like the '63 split-window Corvette Stingrays.  In the years
following '63, the Vettes were made with a one-piece rear window,
which eliminated the unique split-window feature.  To make their
Vettes look newer, some owners took a hacksaw to the rear window and
put in the one-piece glass.  Now, an original '63 without a botched
window will fetch thousands more than one that had been hacked.
Don't believe me?  Go to a Vette show and ask...(and yes, I just
compared a rubber bumpered MGB with a '60's Vette.)

Personally, the 80 LE is a wise collector car.  They can be had
fairly cheap, and there are some all-original cars still running
around.  Admittedly, they aren't a real performer.  If we were
making a list of good performance cars from the late '70s and early
'80s, I doubt any LBC's would find their way onto the list.  I would
gladly trade my '74 chrome car for an original '80 LE; not because I
like the rubber bumpers, but simply because there is more of a 'gee
whiz' collectors factor in the car.  (And I would drive it with the
Z-S carb too.)

I guarantee that someday soon the LE's will rise in value - but only
the all-original ones.  There's something special about the last
year that a car company was in business.

But that's just my opinion...

Mike Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata