Re: Rough Running - 67 MGB

To: "mg" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rough Running - 67 MGB
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:06:48 +1100
Tom,

> Car was running rough the whole way back, about 45 miles.
> I have had to reset timing numerous times in the last 2-3 weeks,
> and I think this is unusual.

Well it sounds like you're burning oil from somewhere. Could be worn rings,
or worn valve guides or both. Have you done a Compression test? Do you know
how to do one properly? What is your oil pressure hot running @ 3000rpm and
hot idle?

> The car is a 67 B and it ran great to the airport this am, but then
> tonight started having problems running right.  When running at
> 60 MPH there is no smoke, but the car still runs rough.  At traffic
> light car will idle and won't stall.

Sounds bizarre timing wise. Is your distributor moving? Are you sure it is
secured correctly with the two bolts that go into the block and the pinch
clamp?

> Is this an example or symptom of timing chain problems???

Gee doesn't sound like it to me but I'm no expert. I've heard of chains
letting go, and your car will stop alright, but I haven't heard of it
continually worsening/slackening chains to the extent of your timing going
out the window. Someone can fill me in if this is not right!! :)

> Is this a time to start thinking about rebuild????

Depends.. report back on Oil pressure and Compression test results. But it
does look like something needs attention due to the smoke, maybe not a
complete rebuild tho fingers x'ed.. Maybe a cyl head overhaul. :)

Cheers,
Neil.