Midgets and Sprites

To: MG Board <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midgets and Sprites
From: gbaker@customcpu.com (Baker, G.)
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 11:31:02 -0900
All,
   I've been in the past a MGB or MGA person (notice I didn't say man)
and no very little about the other side of life.  I'm thinking about
buying a couple of bugeye sprites if I don't die by the hands of my
wife.  Anyway my only experience with the other side was 30 years ago
with a little yellow job (year, engine unknown) that handled like a car
on a rail but was absolutely gutless.  Now it may have been for a number
of reasons that I wasn't aware of and not a trait of the breed.
    My question is what may one expect if he rebuilds an A series engine
using a little hotter cam, some carbs, head job, balanced and etc.  Does
the little engine perform as a stock MGB?  Can it do better?
I thank you for the time responding.
Gregg Baker