Re: Midgets and Sprites

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midgets and Sprites
From: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 18:58:02 -0800 (PST)
Max,

Sorry to do this but the engine is a three main engine not two...I'd hate to
see how a 4 cyl. 2 main engine would operate! :o)

The three main engine; either the 1275 or the 1500 will be quicker at the
take off than the B due to the fact that the three main engine is a free
reving engine and the B is a 5 main engine (more drag on 5 mains than 3).

Keep in mind that there is only so much you can do to these engines and the
best geared original rear is a 3.7:1.
They are great cars! But then again...I'm biased as well.

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:41:22 -0800, Max Heim wrote:

>  >The later 1500cc engine has a little more HP
>  >(in original spec.) but the A series engine is preferred because it
seems to
>  >be a tighter or crisper engine.
>  >
>  Not only that, but the (originally Triumph) 1500 has only 2 main bearings

>  and no cam bearings (hard to believe, eh? what were they thinking?), so
>  is not at all recommended for serious tweaking. Cheaper to rebuild,
>  though, one would think... (which is good, as it probably requires it
>  frequently -- at least the only one I know personally did).
>
>  --
>
>  Max Heim
>  '66 MGB GHN3L76149
>  If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>  it's the red one with the silver bootlid.

Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
Alexandria, Va.

Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite.com
 The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season