Re: Midgets and Sprites

To: gbaker@customcpu.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midgets and Sprites
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:46:26 EST
gbaker@customcpu.com writes:

<<     My question is what may one expect if he rebuilds an A series engine
 using a little hotter cam, some carbs, head job, balanced and etc.  Does
 the little engine perform as a stock MGB?  Can it do better? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It is a delicate subject to broach on the MGs list.  I think you would be
better off asking this question on the Spridgets list, but here goes...

The big advantage to a Spridget is the much lower weight than a B.  You will
find that a well tuned A engine will power a Spridget quite well.  It will
accelerate faster and the lower weight also allows better turning.  The B
will have a higher top speed though.

Add to this all the performance stuff you can do to the A engine and the
Spridget's suspension, and you'll find that a Spridget is almost invincible.
(Sorry, I got carried away.)  The later 1500cc engine has a little more HP
(in original spec.) but the A series engine is preferred because it seems to
be a tighter or crisper engine.

These cars are also head turners because they are so small.  Little kids
think they are cute.  They only attract smaller women.  (OOPS!)

Buy one.  They are fun!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget