Re: Midgets and Sprites

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Midgets and Sprites
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:03:59 +1100
There is a current MG racing series here. It has been running for years and
years.

In it there are 3 classes of car

full race, historic, and fast road. There are a couple of TC/TD's, A's, 4
cylinder and
V8 B's, one C, and midgets. The series had 6-8 rounds each year at a variety
of
race tracks, from tight and twisty to Phillip Island (long and *fast*).

The full race is dominated by the V8s but 1 very fast midget  is very close
behind.
Without looking at the full year point score, I think the midgets easily
beat the 4
cylinder Bs in full race.

Historic has one very fast B,  It is very competitive with the historic
midgets, but
certainly not significantly faster. The rest of the Bs are way behind.  That
B is a
"no effort  spared" job. With the effort and $$, any car would be fast!

Fast road is dominated by midgets. I mean really dominated.

The thing is that you can make a midget go a lot faster without doing much,
it takes
a lot more effort to make a B go as quick and this is reflected in the race
fields.
There are some 40 or 50 regular race cars in this series and I compete in
the series
in a midget. Mine is basically a road car with a quick but not super fast
motor. It cost
comparatively not much money or effort to make it a B beater.

I do not doubt that as rolled off the production line, a B would beat a
Midget most of
the time, but so what? It takes so little effort to make a midget into B
beater with no
real sacrifice of driveability or practicality.

On top of that, the Midgets are more fun!

Since this is rapidly turning into one of those dogma arguments, maybe I
should just
shut up now. If anyone wants quantitative proof, I can supply an analysis of
lap times
etc, but I'd think this would be boring to 99% of you.

Mike
65 Midget racecar
59 Bugeye rally car
67 BGT road car
(+ numerous other spridgets including road cars)