Re: Speeding in the UK

To: mikeg@vicnet.net.au, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speeding in the UK
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:24:31 EST
In a message dated 1/10/00 6:02:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mikeg@vicnet.net.au writes:

<< The big disadvantage to ABS is on the dirt and perhaps snow or ice (but I
 don't
 have experience with those). On gravel or dirt, it is IMHO dangerous to have
 ABS. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have 4-channel ABS (and 4 wheel disks) in the Mitsu.  We had an ice storm
here a coupla years ago and those brakes would just sputter away on that ice!
 I could turn the wheel any way I wanted...hit the gas...hit the brakes...it
didn't matter at all...the car went straight ahead.  I went home and waited
by the bar until the ice melted.  (That was a joke.  Don't drink and drive!
Barmaid, I'll have another Guiness!)

I have had success in handling the car in snow with ABS.  The kind of snow we
get around here usually has a lot of tooth, so you can actually steer the car
if the wheels aren't locked.  I would think gravel is about the same.  I
would like to hear why you think ABS is dangerous in snow and gravel.  Of
course, any adverse driving conditions are dangerous when the great unwashed
get out there in their SUVs and drive like it's dry!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport