Re: Alfa Romeo

To: Mark the Shark <markie@gte.net>, John Steczkowski <stecz@Crossroads.com>,
Subject: Re: Alfa Romeo
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:27:36 -0800
Several years ago Akkana, Phil and I went up to Sacromento from
Santa Cruz for an autocross.  I was driving my Sprite, they were both
driving X1/9s.  I think that we averaged about 40 miles between having
to stop to fix something on one of the fiats.  The sprite performed
beautifully until we were in Fairfield where one or both of them were
fixing something on one of the Fiats, and being bored I started poking
in my engine compartment.  I noticed a miniscule water leak and decided
to fix it.  In my attempt to remove the water hose to reseat it I ended
up tearing the hose off.  Oops, it was several years old.  The kid at
Grand Auto had never even heard of MG or Austin, but I was able to get
hose that just didn't have the third bit that went up to the heater.

The X1/9s are nice cars, but way too heavy for their size.  I like either
B's or spridgets better.  They handle just as well, go faster and are
more reliable.

I don't have any personal experience with Alfas but have always thought the
Giulliettas and Giullias were very pretty.  I live down the street from
Al Leake who has had good success in SCCA GProd with Alfas.  The Zagatto Jr.s
are also very intriguing.

    Larry

--
Computer guru:  Someone who read the manual.
lrc@red4est.com                                 http://www.red4est.com/lrc