Re: Safety Fast

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety Fast
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:52:07 -0500
At 04:34 PM 01/17/2000 EST, Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/17/00 3:52:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com writes:
>
><< >When did MG use the term "Safety Fast"?  Just wondering.
> >
> >Allen Hefner
> >
> You must read your MG History. The term came from a sign on a British Bus!
> When I get time I will look up the date, but I think it was in the 30's. >>
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Thanks for an answer, but my question was when did MG (or rather BMC) use
the
>term "Safety Fast" for advertising MGs.  BTW, in the '70s they used "Your
>mother wouldn't like it."
>
>Anybody?
>
>Allen Hefner
>SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
>'77 Midget
>'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

BMC?
Hardly,

The slogan was first used by MG in 1929. It was devised by publicity
manager for MG, George Tuck. The story goes that one day George was behind
a bus in Oxford ( where the cars were still made before moving to Abingdon)
when he noticed a sign on the bus which read "Safety First"  ( It seemed
the bus had the latest innovation for the bus line, four wheel brakes!)
George suggested it to Cecil Kimber, with the change "Safety Fast"  Kimber
loved it as it also tied in with the recent Parliamentary election where
Stanley Baldwin's Conservative government won on the slogan "Safety First"

Since then, Safety Fast has always been used by the MG Company. ( And of
course is the name of the magazine which is published by the MG Car Club (UK)

More than you wanted to know?  Probably, but this is the crazy stuff that
makes MG history so great.

Mike