Re: Safety Fast

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Safety Fast
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:26:27 -0500
At 03:52 PM 01/17/2000 -0800, Max Heim wrote:
>Apparently they used it for quite a long period. I have one of those
>repro enamel signs with a CBB and the slogan "Safety Fast", but I am sure
>it was in use before the B came along. I wonder, though, if it was in use
>as far back as the '30s -- safety was not really a marketing concept back
>then, as far as I know. Not to mention the complete lack of safety
>equipment in the cars, i.e. no seatbelts, padded anything, defrosters,
>outside mirrors, etc.
>
>Ajhsys@aol.com had this to say:

Max
As you can see from my previous message, it does indeed go back to 1929.
The concept of "safety" has changed. What Kimber meant by safety was
response and control, something that MG excelled at in those years as
compared to the other makes. Back then ,  driving was a skill, and only
those having skill would drive. Today, our concept of safety, is passive,
so we can talk on our cell phone and wait for the unskilled idiot in the
vehicle next to us (also talking on the cell phone) to hit us. Then our
padded dashes, seat belts and air bags can save us!

Mike