maaco

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: maaco
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:34:20 -0700
I know some of you have used Maaco with varying degrees of satisfaction.
Well, I took my 67 BGT in for an estimate. Its got a few dents, a little
bondo repair on the rear wheel well on one side. The previous owner had
patch panels installed on all sides and the paint overspray is flaking off
on those areas, exposing a grey primer.

Even though I think of the car as being in pretty good shape, they
estimated almost $1000 in repairs, although $450 of that is to completely
strip off the old paint. But the $1000 does not include the paint that
comes in five choices, ranging from the economical ambassador, the
presidential, and supreme. Or even the much more costly ultra-urethane and
the signature service. That will add something like another $200-$500 to
the cost.

Well, I used to be a chemist, but not a paint chemist. Anyone have any
practical experience or knowledge on these paint choices and which one
would be the best choice?

The person who did the car wanted to know if it was a Midget so I explained
the differences. Later, she had to show me pictures of a RBB Midget they
had done - they figured it was worthy of putting it in the scrapbook they
keep to show potential customers and she had to point out the stripes they
added on the side of this blaze orange beauty.

If I do have it painted, I'll do it in the summer when its too hot to drive
it (I have my topless 74 Toyota Landcruiser for summer driving).

David
67 BGT
71 BGT