Consumer Reports was Re: Corvairs and Ralph Nader

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Consumer Reports was Re: Corvairs and Ralph Nader
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:37:57 -0400
Amen to that.  CU bashed the poor little Mopar "Omnirizons" to death for
years.  Black dot city...  No doubt that contributed to their continuing
dirt-cheap prices on the used car market.  Both of my kids owned 'em -
purchased by their Dad - one for $1300, the expensive one with A/C for
$1500.  They both were approaching about 170,000 miles when sold several
years ago, and both are still on the road in this area - no doubt pushing
200,000+ miles.  They're responsive and fun to drive, got 34 mpg and
although some of the trim was a bit sleazy, they stayed out of the repair
shops.  One of Detroit's best-kept secrets as far as I'm concerned.  CU was
dead wrong.

Allen

>From: "danray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
>
>I've always wondered about Consumer Reports' Objectivity. It's useful as one
>source for making purchase decisions, but I take it with a grain of salt, as
>any intelligent person should when reading or watching the media. They
>happily give high marks to anything Toyota or Nissan, but talk to owners and
>do your own survey of the Camry, and a different picture is formed. Same
>with my '96 Chevy Tahoe (usually lots of black dots)-- it's been a lot more
>reliable than my BMW, or my parents' Camry ever were!
>
>Dan
>73B
>
>> But don't under-estimate the power this type of thing has, though.
>> Consumer Reports single handedly destroyed the Suzuki Samurai a few
>> years ago with the famous "tip over" picture.  What's not widely known,
>> however, is that they were testing several small SUVs that day, most of
>> which had about 10 passes through the "tip-over" course.  It took 44
>> tries, 3 drivers and changing the course from what the other vehicles
>> went through to successfully tip it.  There is even a video, made by the
>> testers, with shouts of "Yahoo!" when they finally tipped it.
>>
>> Then they printed the pic on their cover, it was their number one
>> selling mag of all time, and the following year sales of this capable
>> little vehicle were cut to 1/3 of what they had been.

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333