Re: Superchargers

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Superchargers
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:25:23 +1100
Hi all,

> I'm very interested in a supercharged MGB.  With the correct

OK I'll 'spill the beans' <G>. I am helping Han's put his new website
together as he doesn't know anything about PC's and helps me with free
advice etc so I figured I'd give him a hand with his Site - being a
programmer and all. NOTHING in it for me, just helping a mate out. Almost
all the bits I've bought for my racing BGT I've bought from hi-flow and
they're bloody gorgeous as a few others on the list can attest.

ANYHOO! Here is the news, I am just about finished the site redo for Hans
and there is a heap more pics and info on the Supercharger install. I can
tell you for a fact that the 180bhp Han's talks of is in a good condition,
new bearings etc MGB and the power is produced from 1500-5500rpm. There is
no need for high revs. Also the Supercharger is a Opcon Autorotor, rated the
most efficient supercharger on the market at 74.5% efficiency or something?!
It is far and away from the old Vane type Judsons, and leaves the new Eatons
etc for dead as well. A lot of kits out there use this supercharger for
Miata's and Z3's. In fact Han's has a kit for those cars as well. I believe
the Supercharger is fitted OEM to a number of modern production cars but not
sure which. The car featured on the Web page is a test mule, and the owner
of that Neil erm forget the surname, who also has an MG business, has put in
an uprated propshaft from a V8 BGT an uprated clutch, ported head, and a few
other bits and pieces. That motor runs 16psi boost now and Neil drives it
around the City very frequently. Apparently it is totally reliable and
street driven. It also competes in hillclimbs etc & kicks serious butt.
Apparently it now puts out over 210bhp and the only change necessary to
handle the power was the propshaft. That car also has LCB headers on it and
a 3/4 race 70/30 type cam I think. I'll let the list know when the sites
been updated, theres also a magazine review of the Mini kit, which is the
same as the Spridget kit.

Hopefully when I get back from my term in the UK I'll have enuff dosh to get
him to build one for the CGT but it will be expensive as it would be a one
off R&D type job, I can really really imagine 300BHP from that. <G> I think
that would definitely need a new gearbox, propshaft & diff. A lot of people
here fit Holden (GM) LSD's actually when the power gets up there. Apparently
a simple mod. Interesting.

The cost of the kit is $5950AUD (fitted in Aus.) or around $3700 USD. It's
expensive yeah, but I know the cost is in the SC itself and I think Hans is
trying to move some to US people, so maybe you could score a better deal by
haggling <G> I didn't say that!! Who knows. :) I wish I had the money!!!
Apparently it will take less than 1/2 day to fit it to the motor, if the
motor you have is already good ie hasn't done 80,000mls on orig bearings
etc.

Kelvin, why don't you talk to Han's about Moss maybe distributing this kit?
Maybe we could get the price down to a better level with Moss' buying
power?! It is a beauty for sure and I love the bolt on / bolt off concept.
Even good for concours people.

Cheers,
Neil
--