Re: Battery Size info / battery cutoff switch

To: mgs4dave@warwick.net
Subject: Re: Battery Size info / battery cutoff switch
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 07:23:32 -0500
Dave,
  I am a believer in the cut off switch too, having one in my TD and one
in my MGB-GT. Not only for the reduction in the chance of electrical
misfortune, but simply for the convienience, are they great.
  A week ago Friday, I got a call from a club member whose '76 is her
daily driver. She took it from work to get lunch for the staff, returned
to the office and parked it. Later, some of the staff were laughing about
her parking her B in a snowbank.  Seems that she left the car in gear,
starter chose to engage, and powered the car across a parking lot, up a
curbing, and into the bank where it stopped and the starter turned the
drivetrain until battery and starter died.
  They still haven't figured out exactly why this happened. As I
understand it, the wires running up from solenoid to relay and to the
distribution junction were both fried. Who knows--could have been
ice/snow abrasion or build up, something run over on the road--just no
real way to tell.
  However, had a $25 switch been in the car, this could not have happened
to an unattended vehicle, and a minor problem could have been much more
serious.
Bob