Re: First hello and looking for a tonneau cover [speedo]

To: "Michael Torrusio" <mtorrusi@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: First hello and looking for a tonneau cover [speedo]
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 20:40:32 -0800
Well, it was just a wild guess. But what you may have is the wrong
speedo, or speedo pinion, because your figures are way off. 88mph at 4500
rpm would be 19.5mph per 1000rpm. That's way over the actual figure of
17.6 (more or less, depending on your tires).

Look at it another way -- R&T's indicated top speed was 104 at 5900rpm
(or something like that, I don't have the book in front of me). If you
were correct, your speed at that rpm would be 115mph, a speed no stock B
has ever experienced.

The wrong speedo could have been used to replace the original failed
unit. A tranny swap could have given you the wrong pinion for your
speedo. Skye's "The MGB Experience" website has a chart showing the
correct speedo markings for each year.

<http://www.mgb.bc.ca/>

Otherwise, don't sweat it. At least you aren't inadvertently breaking the
speed limit because it reads too low.

: )

Michael Torrusio had this to say:

--