Re: Be happy drive it all the time

To: "Charley & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Be happy drive it all the time
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 12:41:16 -0500
I tend to put the car in neutral and leave the clutch out. However since
my Midget uses a heavier gear oil, in the winter the tranny can be enough
drag to keep the engine from turning over. So then I push the clutch in
and the engine will turn over easier.

Now this has nothing to do with the problem I asked about the starter not
turning when it was real cold. It got warmer and I didn't check it out
yet. Probably gonna bite me sometime though.

my 2.9¢ worth.

Larry

BTW Why do gas stions price gas at $1.xx.9 anyway??

quote:)

>Hi Mike,
>
>  Two schools of thought on this.  One says push in the clutch to remove
>the gearbox drag.  The other says leave the clutch alone to minimize
>wear on the crankshaft thrust washers.
>
>  I opine that since the B tranny doesn't use thick gear oil and isn't
>very big, the second school makes more sense, especially because the
>engines in many of our LBCs have experienced plenty of internal wear as
>it is.  Also, in my B, when I depress the clutch at idle the engine
>slows down a bit.  Looks like there's more drag with the clutch pedal
>down.
>
>  My $.02,
>
>  Charley Robinson
>  '69 B
>

>Michael Torrusio wrote:
>>

>> Have a question for you all.
>> Ever since I started driving, I have always stepped upon the clutch before
>> starting the engine.  I was taught, and it makes sense, that the starter
>> doesn't need the extra work of dragging the transmission gears around, when
>> it is starting the engine.
>> When I bought my '71 B, my mechanic stopped me and said that he has always
>> found the engine cranks over faster if the clutch is NOT depressed. ???!!!
>> Comments on this?
>> --
>> Ciao.
>>
>> Mike.